Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The 1st Filipino ReaderCon

I've been blogging since 2006, but it was only late last year when I found out that there was an entire community of passionate Filipino book bloggers. I was largely unaware that a number of them even have a healthy international audience. I hope none of the local publishing companies and their marketing departments share my ignorance, but on the off chance that they do, then this would be a great way for Filipino readers, authors, and publishers to get together and forge stronger ties.

Presenting the 1st Filipino Reader Conference: Filipino Readers Make It Social!

The ReaderCon celebrates reading in the Philippines, especially in this digital age. If you're a Pinoy reader, this is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of book blogging. Know how to run your own book club. Most importantly, see how you as a reader can help promote Philippine literature. Being so new to this community, I'm really excited to see what will come out of this event. I'll be posting more updates on the ReaderCon soon, but in the meantime, here's the Twitter account that you can follow.

The ReaderCon will be held at SMX Mall of Asia Meeting Room 2 on Sept. 14, Wed, from 1-6 PM. It is presented together with Vibal Publishing House, Inc, and sponsors Primetrade Asia, Flipside Digital Content, and Scholastic. Hope to see you there!

5 comments:

Chachic said...

You forgot to mention that you came up with the designs for the promo materials. :P Thanks again for volunteering to help out! Like I said, I really can't wait to finally meet you in person.

Frida Fantastic said...

You came up with the designs? That's hardcore. I hope the ReaderCon goes well!

By the way, thanks for name dropping the different Filipino Spec-Fic authors on my blog. That got me to buy two of the Filipino Speculative Fiction Anthologies (2 & 6 to be specific), and I'm happy to have gotten them just before my return to Canada. I'm a bit into volume 2 right now, and there's some seriously badass stories here. Yay for Filipino books!

dementedchris said...

@Chachic
It was my pleasure! :D I'm very excited to meet everyone!

@Frida
I'm glad you were able to get Volume 6. I think I heard some news about them selling the issue out on the launch date! (I might have heard wrong, or that they did a reprint.) If you're still around, you might want to try Yvette Tan's Waking the Dead. She has excellently written macabre stories.

Anonymous said...

wow you did the designs. So creative!!!

dementedchris said...

@Blackplume
Thank you! Hope to see you at ReaderCon!